Friday, August 8, 2008

Reality? (poem, sonnet)

Round, and round, and round we go
Riding the rhythm of universal flow
From where we came, to where we go
For all to guess, for none to know

Maybe there’s neither beginning nor end
Or way of knowing what’s round the bend
And although your theories you may defend
Lets be real, it’s all pretend

Realities as real, as your static mind is active
As basic as what’s found attractive
As helpful as a corpse inactive
And yet some how it’s where we live

Your mind unwinds and finds its place
While all these thoughts rewind behind, without a trace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking I want to post some of my poetry here, but every time I read yours I feel too intimidated and end up posting a short story instead.

A very universal theme, this, which leaves you thinking... I love the alliteration in the first two lines. It opens up the poem to the reader quite well, and underlines the feeling of going round and round!

I also like the rhythm of this very much, but had to read it twice for "Realities as real, as your static mind is active" to fit into it. But when I did, it sounded as natural as the rest.

Anna Lensch said...

This reminds me of the beatles song Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite, and of going about on a merry-go-round, and then getting nauseated.

I really like the feel to it, though. This is probably my favorite of yours so far.